A large stone has been installed on Spruce Ride near the Speech House to mark 100 years of the Forestry Commission. The plaque reads:
Commemorating the Centenary of the Forestry Commission and all those people who took part in its achievements
A separate smaller stone nearby tells us that Spruce Ride was planted c. 1850, Replanted c. 1920 and replanted c. 2010 and continues:
“In commemoration of retired Forestry Commission Staff who have dedicated a part of their working lives to the ongoing management of the Forest of Dean“.